Monday, May 24, 2010

We're going to be home owners!!


Yep. I know, HUGE step, right? But, it makes sense. Why throw our money away on rent when we could be putting that towards something we own?!

If you know Aaron and I, you knw that we ae very impulsive. I'm not going to lie, buying a house was very impulsive for us. It was a, "hey look at thi shouse I found online.. wouldn't it be cool to own it?" kind of thing. Next thing I know, we're on the phone with the VA mortgage people and talking with a realtor the next day. Whew!

We looked at a bunch of houses and out of all of them we looked at, only a few really made an impression on me. This is the rest of our lives we're talking about here, people.. it has to be right. It has to be perfect.

We went on Friday night with our realtor, Royce. That's right, "Royce, like Rolls Royce" - is EXACTLY how he introduce himself to Aaron. Hah! Anyway, we looked at 4 houses and the last one we pulled up to I was like, "wow, this is nice.. two stories, nice landscaping.." Then we went inside. "wow! I love it! -paint is perfect color, living space is roomy, LOVE the kitchen" those are just some of the things that came out of my mouth. Then we went out back. "Sweeeet! Big yard, fenced in, REAL GRASS and not pine needles and !"(like we've been living in since we got here)

So, we told Royce that we liked it but had to think about it. That nigh, I spent over and hour on the phone with my Aunt who works for a lawyer back home. Because, mainly, I didn't understand ANYTHING about buying a house. She explained the big words and what that meant.. what I could get out of if I needed to, things not to do - things to do.. all of that was SO helpful and I felt more confident in our decision to put in an offer.

So the following day, We went back to do another run through on the house. REALLY look at it.. see what it needed, what it didn't.. what needed work.. what we liked and didnt like. We decided to go back to Royce's and write up a contract.

We put in an offer for what they were asking for and then asked them to pay $5,000 in closing costs. Which I thought was pretty good. I mean, who offers what the sellers are asking? But, they countered. They said they'd only pay $4,000 and that we would have to move the closing date 20 days sooner. We said, "fine"
And now we're only paperwork away from being 1st time home owners! Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Jackie! It's gorgeous. I cannot wait to see pictures of the inside!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! That's wonderful!! Very exciting. I can't wait until you get settled in and post pictures. Congratulations, that's very cool.

    ReplyDelete