Monday, December 13, 2010

Scout update

Today I called the shelter to see if the boys and I could come down and take a look at Scout. The lady was very nice, and said, come right down. So I packed the boys up, and off we went. Without a GPS,(cause I gave it to my brother so he could make it back to NY last week) So I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants. I probably drove around Jacksonville for an hour before I located the road. Which was fine, because the boys took a nap and we had nothing better to do.

I get there and there's this couple with a boxer puppy. Cutest little thing Ive ever seen. But the poor thing has mange and I'm pretty sure that they were bringing it there to put it up for adoption because the girl just kept saying," we've tried everything we can and his mange wont go away., they'll be able to help him here" Which breaks my heart because I bet he wasn't even 10 weeks old.

Anway, no one's at the front desk, so I take a seat. This lady comes out, (which I can only describe her apperance as a human strawberry because thats exactly how she was shaped and was wearing a red shirt) and looks at me and says, " Do you need something?" in a VERY snotty way. I'm thinking, "No, I come to the friggen shelter with two of my kids just for the fun of it.. what the hell?" But I say,
 "Yes, I spoke to a lady on the phone..."
She cuts me off.
"Well, who'd you speak to? Dispatch?"
Me: " I guess so? I dont know, her name was Brenda"
Her: Well, Brenda's on the phone right now and will be for another 20 minutes or so.. what do you need?"
Me: Well, I told Brenda my whole story and it's kind of long but basic.."
Her: (looking so very annoyed) "Basically what?"
Me: (getting mad) "BASICALLY I need to find a dog by the name of "Scout" He was brought in here Friday from Lejeune Animal Control.."
Her: :::Siiggghh:::: :Do you know how many dogs are brought in here daily?"
Me: "uh..?"
Her: "Yeah, ALOT. You need to go over to that computer over there and search for him. Whats his number?"
Me: "his number?"
Her: "YES. HIS NUMBER."
Me: "Okay, look, I dont know what number you're talking about. But you're really being rude. I just need to find this dog and any of your help would be greatly appreciated. " FUCK.. Seriously!
Her: "Okay come over here"

And she proceeds to show me and ask me all of the right things in order to locate Scout in their database.. REALLY? Is that all it takes? For me to stick up for myself a little bit in order for someone to help me? God.. I was two seconds from either kicking her in the shins or just running out the door and crying.. what a bitch. I wrote a nasty review on her afterwards when I got home.

Anyway, she found him. I saw his picture. He looks exaclty the same as he did 4 years ago! So cute! She said that he wouldn't be availble for adoption until the 20th. After that, I can come adopt him if someone else hasn't already. But right now, he's on hold to see if his other owners will show up.. -I doubt they will and almost hope that they dont..- after 2 weeks of being up for adoption, if no one wants him, he'll be put down.

Soo., I'm kind of stuck on what to do now. Since we're leaving fro NY on the 23rd, I can't necessiarly bring him with us. We dont have enough room in the car with Gunner, let alone another dog and my parents already said, "no way" and thats fine, it's their house and they already have my brothers dog there, too.. plus Gunner AND Scout.. it'd be crazytown up there. BUT, if we wait util we get back from NY, his 2 weeks will already be up. I don't now if we can, like, put him on hold or something. Maybe pay for him and have them keep him until we get home, or what.. I guess I'll have to figure that out when the time comes. But I did talk to Aaron's Mom and she said she'll help us anyway she can. Weather that be finding a no kill shelter(in case Scout doesnt like kids or Gunner - that would be the only way we woudln't keep him) or finding a rescue to take him. Even getting his name out there on her "network" to see if someone she knows will take him in.
She's good like that. I don't know how many dogs she's saved. With the most recent being "Red"(who was a junkyard dog in Brooklyn who was just tied out his whole life. She went right in there and saved him and found him a wonderful home in Florida where he goes to dog parks everyday and sleeps on his own giant bed. So I know I can count on her. She has a big heart for animals..

So thats kind of where wre left off. When Aaron gets home, we'll probably take a ride down to the shelter and have a look at him. See if he's good. Not timid..friendly.. all that fun stuff.

I am very inpatient and can't wait for the 20th to come around! But I really don't have any other choice. So, I guess another update will be after we get to meet him :)

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at the human strawberry part. So funny. But good luck Jackie- I hope this works out for you guys and for poor Scout!

    ReplyDelete