Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day Schmalentines Day

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

Valentines Day means alot in the Houran household. 5 years and one day ago, Aaron graduated from bootcamp in Parris Island, SC. 5 years! Can you believe that!?

I remember it like it was yesterday. My parents and I drove our minivan 16 hours the day before and spent the night at a hotel down the road from base. I remember how nervous I was, scared, excited and anxious. I don't even think I slept at all.

I was so worried that after 3 months of no contact - beside hand written letters- with my boyfriend that he would have forgotten what I was like. What we were like before.. I was afraid that he had changed so much..that I had... that we would lok at eachother once he steped foot of the parade deck and go, "who is that?"

But it was nothing like that. It was perfect!

They had the EGA ceremony inside because the weather was awful. I remember trying to pick him out from the rest of the guys and I couldn't! I think it was my Mom who finally spotted him. And we ran to stand right in front of him. I know that he saw me even though he was supposed to be staring straight ahead because I saw him kind of smirk a little.

It seemed like that EGA ceremony took a lifetime. Just standing there, waiting.. not being able to touch him or say anything to him... it was killing me! And I know it was killing him, too...

As soon as they released him, we flew into eacothers arms and I just bawled. (I think he shed a few tears, too!) We just held eacother so tight for what seemed like forever.. never wanting to let go...

It was really one of the best days of my life..

So after he graduated, we drove to atlans I think and Aaron and I flew home while my parents drove. He wore his ALphas and just looked so handsome. I remember how uncomfortable he was wearing them on the plane. and how akward our conversations seemed sometimes. He didn't sleep the whole flight. He sat straight up in his seat and looked out the window. I fel asleep and ended up drooling all over his uniform.. nice one, Jackie!

But, we finally got home and went to bed.

The next day was Valentines Day. He went to go see his family while I stayed at home waiting for my parents to arrive. He came home pretty late but made his entrance with a dozen beautiful red roses! When he gave them to me, I saw a note. I read it and this is what it said, " Jackie, I will love you until the last one dies" which kind of puzzled me because flowers always die.. I guess he saw that I was kind of confused and grabbed ahold of the middle rose and showed me that it was silk... ah ha! How sweet and cleaver..

Then it happend. He didn't get down on one knee.. and didn't hold my hand. He stood there and held out a ring. I remember asking him what that was.. and he just said, "do you want to get married?" I was shocked! I cried and hugged him so tight and of course said yes!

So that is the Houran Valentines Day story.. pretty sweet, right?

3 comments:

  1. Aww, that is such a sweet story! I hope you guys have a blast today. Happy Valentiens day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! That is seriously the sweetest Valentine's story i've ever heard. I'm all sorts of teared up now. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm third-ing the "Awww!" That is seriously too cute. Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside! :)

    ReplyDelete