This one's so obvious if you know me:
WILCO -
I fell in love with these guys from a cd that someone made for me. After listening to that cd, I was hooked. I had to know EVERYTHING about Wilco and their front man, Jeff Tweedy. I have every single one of their cds and even bootlegs and even side project that some of the other member have.
I've seen them three times and have also seen,(and dragged Aaron to) a Jeff Tweedy solo show.
Also, in 2005(?) I met them!
They were playing at Boston University and it was my first time ever going to see them. I made my friend Vince go along with me. Aaron was deployed at the time, and none of my other friends could appreciate Wilco's sound. Vince couldn't really tolerate them either, but didnt like the idea of me driving 3 hours to Boston and staying over night by myself, so he went.
We got there and went right to the beach. It was so neat. There were tons of hermit crabs and big sea shells all over the place. After that, we got some dinner and then tried to find a place to stay. All of the hotels were waaayy out of our price range, so we stayed in a hostel. I had no idea what a hostel was at the time, but from what I understood, was that it was a big hotel like place where you paid for a room, but other people stayed in the room with you and you all shared a bathroom. Whatever.. it was cheap and within walking distance to the show, so we got a room.
Wilco played that night and I was sooo bummed because our seats were so far in the back and you wernt allowed to get out of your chair to go towards the front. It was the worst show, ever. I was so mad. So afterwards I made it my mission to find Wilco and get their autographs.
Vince and I were hungry again so we went to the nearby McDonalds. As we were crossing the street next to BU, I noticed a huge tour bus. Naturally I dragged Vince down the street and hung out by it, waiting for someone from the band to come out. I dont know how long it was that we waited but Vince was getting mad, so I gave up and we started walking up the street. Just then, a side door opened on the building and the drummer, Glenn Kotche stepped out! I stopped dead in my tracks and just stared at him. He looked at me, and said, "Hi" - I said, "Hi, you're the drummer from Wilco.." He says, "Yep.. and your name is?" I said, "Jackie" He says, "Nice to meet you Jackie"
Just then the keyboard player/multi instrumental player came out,(Mikel Jorgensen) and got in on the conversation. So here I am, 20 years old, head over heels for this band, and I'm having a conversation with two of them. They started walking and talking and I just kind of followed. Just then, Glenn says, "do you want me to get Jeffs autograph, Jackie?" Uh, yes! of course. So Glenn says, "stay here" So I do. Vince stays with me. I'm freaking out.. like some teeny bopper thats seeing Nsync for the first time. So we wait for a second, which seemed like FOREVER.. and then I hear Glenn yell, "Jackie come down here!" So Vince and I go down, and there he is. Standing outside in these adorable cloud pajamas, hairs all a mess..
Jeff says, "Hey Jackie!" I just could not believe that I was talking to him.. I start blabbing on and on about how much I love him and all of his songs and yada yada.. I get interrupted by Glenn talking to Vince saying, "everythings all about Jackie, isn't it? Would you like an autograph, Vince?" Vince shakes his head no and they all laugh.
I got my picture taken with Jeff Tweedy and I got almost all of the bands autographs. It still sits, framed on my hutch. One autograph even says "Jackie, you're lovely" on it..
I wish I could post the picture of Jeff and I, but it was taken on my crappy camera phone and it didn't come out good at all. Plus, it's put away somewhere on my other computer.
But yea, Wilcos my all time favorite band..

Ah! I love this Jackie!! I can't believe you got to meet them and the lead singer in his cloud jammies. haha
ReplyDelete